Saturday, May 19, 2012

The kids are getting bigger, all of the babies at Rainbeau Ridge are on bottles, some of them have already gone home as pets and sadly, a few of the boys have gone off to the stew pot. It breaks my heart, I tried my hardest to get Curry Shishkabob adopted...
This baby boy came up to me like a dog, face to face, put his little head down in front of me so I could see his perfect horns, and then looked me in the eye and cried out BaaAAaah! I melted into a puddle... But he's a boy, and that means stewpot. Although I have to say, CURRY is a pretty cute name for a pet goat. I got more experience feeding the bottle babies...
Now i'm taking two weeks off Rainbeau Ridge to travel back to Spain and help out my farmers Maxi and Samuel. The men need a vacation, so I volunteered to run things for them for a week so they can go off on their manly Horse and Donkey through the mountains vacation. Talk about Don Quixote and Sancho Panza (who, evidently, travelled through the area of Guadalajara Spain where I will be staying). Since I left, the goats have all kidded, the baby pigs are at least 50 kilos each **That's just what I need. Not one monsterously large pig, but six... I might as well stop at home depot before I jet off, because I'm going to need some prison-grade fencing to keep them in... What I'm most excited about are two things. Actually three. Number one: These goats are free ranged, and since they've evidently been very naughty goats, eating neighbors apple trees and breaking into the wheat fields of local farmers, the new policy is to accompany the goats out daily. So i'll be a true sheperdess in the mountains of Spain. It sounds very dreamy to me. Number two: I will be hand milking the girls, so I will get a true level of understanding of how to milk out 30 goats twice daily. And finally, there will be CHEESE! And none of this fresh pasteurized cheese like I've been making at Rainbeau. I'm talking about honest and true, raw goats milk cheese, Spanish style. I can't fricking wait! The jet leaves tonight at 5:30. Of course, internet being what it is, I'll pretty much be out of touch with limited connectivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment